Thursday, April 23, 2015

A birthday party for ME!

At the end of last year I had a significant birthday!
Earlier this year I celebrated with friends and family.
Being a party planner (perhaps with control issues) I staged my own event in our backyard.

Here's the invitation...all hand made by me...but you knew that!

The invite pulled out of the front of the box.

The details were on the inside.
There's a little switch on the top of the box (I had to make the boxes from scratch).

Of course there had to be miniatures in there!
But what's the switch for you're wondering...

Well, that switch turns on a little flickering light!

And now the party...

 I wanted to create an outdoor lounge.
Fortunately we had a lovely summer evening for the party.

I found the old door in a roadside rubbish collection a few days before the party.
Hubby was away so Liberty and I had to load it in the car ourselves...I have no idea now how we managed it. That door weighs a tonne! 

I borrowed the little tables and chairs from a friend.

There's my tolerant husband standing. 
He kindly told me he would do whatever I asked to make my party perfect!

Those are all fake flowers I found at op shops.

A real life version of the invitation.

Liberty baked and decorated the cake...and cut it!

 The backyard lounge...we were out there until after midnight it was such a warm evening.

Of course I made take-home cookies for my guests!

The couch came from an op shop. In my haste to re-cover it I forgot to take a before pic. But you can see the old upholstery on the bottom of it there.
Hubby painted it for me and I covered it with fabric also found at an op shop...sometimes when you're op shopping things just fall into place!

After! Just what I envisaged for my outdoor lounge.

I hung some of my prettiest decorations inside the house. 
I was looking after my two little nieces that day and they helped by handing me the decorations while I was up the ladder.

Although they weren't coming to the party they were dancing with delight when they realised they were here for the starting of the party - the start of the decorating!

I used a photo of the outdoor lounge to make the Thank You card. 


I had a great time with many friends at my little celebration! 

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations Mercedes on your significant birthday. How wonderful that you could be outdoors so late into the evening. I can imagine how amazing the night sky must have been.
    Isn't it a great to gather such old friends together?
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody does parties quite like you! It looks like so much fun and you had the right weather too! Happy Birthday... a bit late.... but maybe it counts towards the next one too! You all look happy and Beautiful! What a great gathering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely outdoor setting and your second-hand furniture and roadside door are now looking like Real Treasures! I love the photos of you and your girl friends on the front porch. What a great opportunity to be able to repeat that 30 years later!
    Have a Very Happy Birthday, Mercedes. All the Best for the coming year. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mercedes and a Happy Birthday to you!
    looks wonderful your certainly a great party organiser
    It sure seems you had a wonderful birthday!
    just love your lounge from the op shop! and that door looks great! wish we had op shops here like that! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It all looks so beautiful and delicious. The door is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me uno a la felicitación de cumpleaños!!!! Y felicidades por crear un ambiente tan acogedor,original y bonito en tu patio para acoger a tus invitados,han sido muy afortunados de compartir ese día contigo!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eres increíble!! Cada vez me sorprended más y más!! No sólo haces miniaturas maravillosas, sino que en la vida real eres igual de creativa!! Consigues que una puerta vieja, un sillón anticuado o cualquier cosa brille con luz propia!! Esa velada tuvo que ser fantástica, gracias por ofrecernos esas fotos familiares, son preciosas. Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eres increíble!! Cada vez me sorprended más y más!! No sólo haces miniaturas maravillosas, sino que en la vida real eres igual de creativa!! Consigues que una puerta vieja, un sillón anticuado o cualquier cosa brille con luz propia!! Esa velada tuvo que ser fantástica, gracias por ofrecernos esas fotos familiares, son preciosas. Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eres increíble!! Cada vez me sorprended más y más!! No sólo haces miniaturas maravillosas, sino que en la vida real eres igual de creativa!! Consigues que una puerta vieja, un sillón anticuado o cualquier cosa brille con luz propia!! Esa velada tuvo que ser fantástica, gracias por ofrecernos esas fotos familiares, son preciosas. Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are the queen of the parties, Mercedes! I am glad you enjoyed your birthday! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. una fiesta preciosa me encantan tus decoraciones para las fiestas , seguro que todos lo disfrutaron mucho
    y muchas felicidades

    besitos

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous - what a lovely theme of an outdoor lounge. Both the invite and the thank you cards were so special - definitely keepsakes. Love the door.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mercedes I wanted to say how much I enjoy your posts, and happy belated birthday. It looked like you had a wonderful time. I am very new to the miniature blog world, but I wanted to let you know that your blog was one of the very first blogs I found and it truly inspired me. I have loved everything that you have created and I am always eager to see your next project. Until the next time Jayne.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My last birthday party was really significant too. I had celebrated my birthday first time with my all friends at a grand venue. All things were arranged by the party planner. I just loved the decoration stuff and food was really amazing too. The best idea was serving burger with fries on every table.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG Mercedes, now I see what I have been missing on blogger, I became addicted to FB for some time. Your couch makeover is stupendous, that fabric find was a treasure, I love it. I have been known to drag home items left on the curb too, but sometimes never get around to 'transforming' them and they end up on our curb, lol. I am now inspired to prowl the neighbourhood, aaaargh!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!