Thursday, October 9, 2014

Moving on to the next room...

Firstly I must say a huge thank you to all those who left such lovely comments on my last post, it really makes my day to read them!
 I've left the kitchen...I was very tempted to start filling it up but realised it would have to be emptied again to do the lighting.
So I'm moving on with the room next to the kitchen.

 This is a VERY big room! As you can see I've started wallpapering.

 There's the door through to the kitchen.
And the other gaping whole there is where the front door will eventually go.
 
The fireplace was originally red mahogany.
It took many, many coats of paint before the evil red stain stopped seeping through.

 I've made some wall panelling.
I can hear some of you thinking...'hang on, there's a hole there for stairs...where are the stairs?'

Well, I always thought the stairs took up too much space and it was hard to see anything underneath them.
And what's more if you were downstairs and needed to get to the bathroom you'd have to go through the bedroom - that really annoyed me!
So I've created an entrance hall.
There's a doorway there for the stairs which will go up to another hallway on the first floor.

 Best part of that is I don't really have to make the stairs because they won't be seen!
May just make a couple of steps at the start.

There are French doors from the entrance hall into the room.

 Now the room has a more interesting shape.
 
I haven't yet decided what this room will be.

There's still a lot more to do of course but I'm really happy with how the room is shaping up.
Next thing to tackle (apart from that wall that still needs papering!) is the parquet floor. I have to say it's a bit daunting at this stage as it's such a huge room.
 
However, I've learned from vast experience that nothing ever gets done by just staring at it!
Next week the holidays are over and the kids are back at school, so the floor will be started!

21 comments:

  1. Tienes un gusto exquisito para la decoración.
    A pesar de que normalmente "en obras" no se puede ver del todo el resultado final, en este caso, yo lo veo precioso.
    Te felicito por las decisiones tan acertadas que estás tomando.
    Va a quedar una casa de exposición.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely more interesting, I love how you reshaped it
    Rosanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the room isn't just a square box, great wallpaper. The fireplace is interesting, plenty of shelves to fill.
    Geneviève

    ReplyDelete
  4. Realmente es como un piso en obras, qué bien lo explicas, y qué maravilla de formas y colores utilizas. Me quedo atontada cada vez que entro en tu blog!! Yo en la habitación pequeña vacía haría una despensa. Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The entry hall was a great idea. I have been looking for a new home (for me) and if the door goes right into the living room, I rule it out right away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing! I love that it niw has the entry hall and you've also created a little nook in the main room. Would be a great little study or reading nook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am learning from you. I love the way you gave the house such nice bones and in the reshape. I am still making flat walls which is certainly not as interesting as what you are doing!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a completely different house, Mercedes! My goodness, I can't get over how much work you have already done! I love that wallpaper and the new entrance you have made! This is such an interesting project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me encantan las decisiones que estás tomando para renovar la casa!! La alacena es perfecta,los colores quedan genial!! Esta obra promete!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the idea of introducing the hallway and the way it's reshaped the room. There's still a lot of floor to do though!

    Regarding covering red varnished stain finishes I have one word to contribute: Rust-oleum spray paint - OK, that's three ;) There's a flat primer in the range and it'll cover anything - it also sticks to anything so you can use it directly over the varnish - no need to sand it first. It's my new best friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just LOVE how your renovation is progressing. Watching with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The entrance hall is really clever - it definitely adds character and reality to the room! And oh, that fireplace is simply gorgeous. So worth all the coats of paint! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Just amazing how much you've got done already! I too am redoing a country-style old dollhouse I've had for about 40 years. I've made the outside look like a townhouse and just wallpapered one of the bedrooms. Much of it is a learning curve, so I'm learning from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The room is looking fabulous. I look forward to seeing what you do with the floors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is intriguing and I am looking forward to seeing what you do next. I like the idea of the stairs being hidden away - unless they are a specific feature they just take up so much valuable room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You've made so much progress! And it all looks so moody and dare I say Parisian? It must be the toile paper and the gray wainscot! It all looks just beautiful! I think you are being wonderfully creative with your space too.... I can't wait to see what you will do next!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am Thrilled to see the new shape and personality of this house. I believe that your reasoning for removing and relocating the stairs was a wise one. Having it tucked away just out of sight, is enough. The entrance hall adds so much interest and I love the double door entry into the living space. It really adds depth. It is amazing how you have reduced the actual square footage of the living room but by a clever use of color, light and space planning, have made the room appear bigger by drawing the eye deeper into the room, and getting the viewer to try and peek around walls and into corridors. Well Done! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I live the style you gave the house, Mercedes! Like the fireplace too, and the hall with new door is fantastic. Great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This house is really coming together beautifully. I can't wait to see it filled.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great!! Wonderful room like this.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mercedes, your work is wonderful. I'm about to work work on my first dollhouse (The San Franciscan) and I too, hate the staircase. I've been looking around for tips before I start. Creating a "pretend" staircase is perfect. I can't wait to see your new mini home.

    Anita Smiley
    fabulouslyflawedminiatures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!