Monday, June 1, 2009

A girly nursery

Well, the show is over! It was great fun and as there were a few retailers there I spent far too much money! Because I had my picture in the paper with my interview I was recognised by so many people, LOL! I appear to be famous in my own backyard!

I had so many lovely compliments about my dollhouse. I think people were attracted to it because it was very different from anything else in our show.
So now I'll start a little room by room tour of the house. Beginning at the top with the girls nursery. The girls desk. I've shrunk some of Libertys artwork and made the pencils from toothpicks. The fishbowl I bought at the show. And there is my beautiful Persian rug from Sabiha - it won't be staying in the nursery! The staircase from the master bedroom comes up behind that wall with the shelf on it. I did have a short wall there but I needed more space to display things so I built the full length wall. The little doll on the bed I bought in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, she's the sweetest thing, I'll have to take a better pic for you, she's one of those plastic fimo-ish looking things. This bed is is one of the first things I made all by myself! I didn't have any way of cutting wood other that with a craft knife so I used fairly thin wood. The scallop trim around the bottom of the bed was a piece of wood I purchased but I haven't been able to get another piece as yet! I love that trim. The bedcover has 'Little Bo Peep' on it. The beautiful embroidered pillow was a gift from Rosanna. The cot I bought second hand (sorry about the bad photography in this corner!) The Bessie Gutmann picture was a gift from Sylvia, the little 'Angels' sign is a wooden laser cut that I bought from a quilt shop. These little chairs came from the $2 shop, alas I haven't been able to find any more, I distressed them a bit. I bought the little mouse from an old lady who knits all sorts of little tiny things it is only about 1cm tall! Here is the last basket I made before the show, it is made from pink paper string. A little tin dollhouse for the dollhouse. It is actually an old Christmas decoration. This bookshelf I made from a non-opening cupboard I got from the $2 shop, I pulled the doors off, added a shelf and some of the scallop trim to it. Liberty is crazy about Dora the Exporer, the mini one there came from a dangly pen.
My dear friend Frederica knitted this beautiful little dress, it was one of the first mini things she knitted! How beautiful is that!
I hope you have enjoyed that little tour...more to come soon! As always, if you want to know about anything just ask!
Mercedes

20 comments:

  1. Bellissima !!!!! I love it to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sp...what...you gonna show us only one room a day and make us wait to see the rest, lol!! The nursery looks great!! Love that one picture on the wall of the boy and the puppy....goes along with something that is on it's way! :) Love that little fish bowl, too cute! And how in the world do ya'll get the doors off the cabinets...I've tried everything!! Hahaha...how long you suppose to microwave it? Guess I coulda wrote you an email....lol, but wanted to ask before I forgot:) Oh...and I love that little pink basket you made!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preciosa, te ha quedado tan dulce, me encantan los colores tan suavecitos. felicidades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely, I really like your color-scheme. The little girl´s bed is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love how you treated all your finds from the $2 store! I love the distressed look! -ara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely lovely room! I like how you modified that $2 cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet, girly room. I love the tiny knitted mouse!
    Good to hear you've had a wonderful time at the show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there famous girl!

    It is good to hear the show did go so well,and ofcorse they liked your house,it is so beautiful!!!!

    I love the nursery very much...the colors do mach so good,can't wait to see the rest!

    Love Sabiha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you are posting one room a day! So much details to enjoy for 1 post really :). Well done, Mercedes! I am sure this is Liberty's favourite room. You have been so clever with all the modification and you place everything in the precise space where they belong. No wonder you were such a sensational success!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mercedes,

    It is wonderful, I am very curious at the other rooms.
    All those details, perfect!!!

    Love Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful nursery! I will look forward to the daily tour of your house. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can see why you are now 'famous'...it all looks wonderful!
    Yes, only give us one room at a time, that way we can study it better before you give us the next wonderful installment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such an adorable nursery! I love every little detail! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the tour... : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful room! I love all the details . . . there are so many you really need to spend time looking at each picture. I'm glad you enjoyed the show and your well deserved celebrity! LOL!! Thanks so much for sharing . . . will keep a look out for more rooms soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mercedes, your room is wonderful. Every detail if so terrific. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mercedes the nursery is absolutely fantastic!! The colour and all the details of the room makes it adorable!!! My congratulations.
    Meli

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such a great eye for detail and the rooms works so well as a whole too. So many gorgeous treasures here. I love the bed and the distressed re-made furniture, the little mouse and the dress, so beautiful! The toys and Liberty's drawings make it so real. So many things I could mention. Lovely, lovely room!

    I knew everybody would just love your house. Congratulations and I'm so much looking forwards to see it all a bit by bit. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just the room my 4 year old would love.
    Pink and girly. SMILE
    You just have an eye for the details and you are just such a big inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all the little tiny dolls in the nursery - very fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!