Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Flowers in the Farmhouse!

One of my followers on Instagram (where I post more often) asked me for another blog here I am!

I've been making a lot of roses lately. 
Not a favourite thing to do (time consuming and very fiddly) but well worth the effort!

And I made a little iron table to go in the Farmhouse lounge. 
The trim on the edge of the table is a metal piece that came off a trinket box I bought years ago. 
I had to turn my craft studio upside down to find it...which led to me having a huge clean out...I can now say there is no need for the crew from 'Hoarders' to visit me any more!

I've been using the rose making tutorial from Lea Frisoni's book. 

Love these colours together!

Paeonies for the dining room.

Roses for the master bedroom.

Woodland themed bouquet! 

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Renovating the kitchen renovation!

The trouble with taking so long to renovate the farmhouse is that I get new ideas and feel the need to change things that have already been done...*sigh*

Which is why I've just spent a weekend making (what I hope are) improvements to the Farmhouse kitchen.

I would LOVE to have a marble bench top in my real kitchen but as that is a hopelessly expensive dream I suddenly decided I should have a go at painting a marble bench top in the farmhouse.

Before & After
I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out!
I looked at several online marble painting tutorials (there are a few different methods out there & I combined them all) and then just got my paints out and went for it.

The floor in the kitchen has always annoyed me. 
When I originally stained it, it turned out too orange so I darkened it as best I could at the time. However, I've learnt a little over the years and decided now was a good time to have a go at lightening it.

I may think I've learnt something over the years but in reality I'm not so sure.
First I tried the 'short way' and painted the floor grey...but that didn't bring me any happiness.
I soon realised the only way to fix it was to try the 'long way' - sanding each individual little floorboard...I can't say the sanding was a pleasure but I am now happy with the result!

I'm sure you'll agree the light floor makes a huge difference.

Next I decided the walls were too boring...they needed some 'texture' (yes I may have spent too much time watching Joanna Gaines on 'Fixer Upper').

So...newly 'textured' walls!

The tiled backsplash also had to go...Someone once left a comment on a picture of the kitchen saying 'clean the tile grout'  I guess they thought it was a real kitchen LOL!!!

I've added a shabby old PINK (the world needs more pink!) door with a vintage glass drying rack...because who wouldn't want one of those in their kitchen, right???

Feeling happier now!

I built a copper rangehood (well, I made a rangehood from cardboard and painted it copper!)...and there's a light (I can hear Brad and Janet singing that!) in the rangehood and the oven...going overboard with lights in this room.

Kim's cherry pie is baking!

I'm in the process of filling the little pantry.

Spectacular cupcake made by Kim Saulter

Now it might be time to finish the Farmhouse before kitchen needs another renovation!
There are so many more projects around here that need my attention.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

The Rose bedroom

I like messy unmade beds in someone just got up and walked away.

Vintage handkerchiefs make lovely miniature bedding.
They're usually well worn and very fine fabrics.

I saw a similar real life shelf like this and as I have neither the money nor the space for one in the real house I've made it in miniature.

I've made two of these lights for this room. 
Actually I made a third one but it just didn't need three in such a small space.

I've added a curtain made from another vintage handkerchief!

It's all coming together!

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mother's Day!

I thought Mother's Day would be the perfect time to show you what I've been working on
 in the 'Rose' Bedroom.

I think every dollhouse needs a baby's room.
Perfectly tiny bonnet and bootees made by Susan at Mini Crochet Mad.

A bunch of peach coloured roses for Mother.

'That's What God Made Mother's For' is framed on the wall in honour of Mother's Day.
It's a piece of vintage sheet music I found years ago in an op shop.

That's a tiny knitted mouse I bought at a dollhouse fair.

Part of the bassinet was in a room box I found at an op shop. 
The room box was dated 1982. 
I didn't like the top netting of the bassinet so I've re-made that part but the bottom is covered with the finest cotton fabric and it has age spots on it - which I love! 

I made the dress from an old handkerchief.

I went searching at an op shop (yes, I do spend too much time op shopping) for something to make the blanket from and found a baby singlet that I embroidered tiny rosebuds on...because the world needs more rosebuds!

That teensy safety pin was a challenge to make.
I did make two but one fell on the floor and that was the last I saw of it!


Teddy has been thrown from the bassinet!

The dressing table was a gift from Kim
It was originally painted white.
I've added some pink (had to be done!) and vintage style floral paper and made a little basket for nappy storage.

Wishing all the Mums out there a very Happy Day!